Prevention is half the battle-
Timing is of the essence if you think you’ve been exposed to a sexually transmitted disease. Make an appointment with STD Clinic of Alexandria for immediate STD testing, including HIV. Everything is handled in a confidential manner.
Don’t Ignore the Symptoms
In some cases there are no symptoms. When symptoms occur, they vary depending on the disease.
Major symptoms include:
- Chlamydia – urinary burning, penile or vaginal discharge (50%-75% cases have no symptoms)
- Gonorrhea-vaginal discharge, pelvic pain, fever after several weeks for women and penile discharge and urinary pain for men.
- HIV-early symptoms of flu like illness or late symptoms such as immune system dysfunction with severe infections, fatigue and weight loss.
- Syphilis-Painless sore, non-itchy rash can appear several months later or late stage with destruction of multiple organs including nervous system.
- Herpes (HSV)- viral skin infection causing blisters and painful ulcers. Symptoms often recur. You can carry the virus without symptoms.
- Hepatitis B- may have no symptoms or may experience nausea, jaundice or dark urine. Vaccine available.
- Hepatitis C- Most people have no symptoms. Those who do develop symptoms may have fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite, and yellowing of the eyes and skin.
Some Saturday Appointments Available Between the Hours of 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m,